Sunday 11 October 2009

A social outcast?

First, I'll say welcome to my blog :)

Second, I'll tell you the inspiration for the blog's name. Being a social outcast was what I feared when I started secondary school at the age of eleven. My then best friend's older sister had told her that if you did sad things such as wearing your hood up, fastening your coat or wearing your backpack on both shoulders, that you would be a social outcast. Which of course is daft, but I took it deadly serious when I was eleven, starting a new school and wanting to make a good impression. I've ended up a social outcast anyway, but I can live with that. And I can put my bag on both shoulders if I like.

Third, I suppose I should say what this blog will be about. After years of shyness, low self-esteem, varying degrees of depression, lack of friends, and isolation, I have finally admitted to myself that I have mental health issues and need some help. The decision to see a doctor about my problems was brought about by a telephone conversation with my sister (much love and thanks to her!) a couple of months ago. I was prescribed Prozac and Cognitive Behavioural Therapy. This blog will be about my social anxiety, depression, and related conditions, and will hopefully show my progress towards beating these, using medication, therapy, and whatever else I need to do. Hopefully I can also provide something that fellow sufferers can relate to, perhaps even be inspired by.

No comments:

Post a Comment